Zemgale Catholic Church

It was consecrated in 2006. The church is located in the building of the previous estate and in Zemgale station building (1928). The church used to be a railway station on Latvian-Poland borders in the early 20s of the 20th century. The building was built quickly. It has massive walls and a beautiful dome over the central parts of the building. In 1944 the Germans wanted to destroy it during their retreat, so, two-thirds of the building vanished.

The building was used as a station till the early 60s of the 20th century, but after some time Latvian Railway gave it up. The building became completely abandoned. The building stood at the edge of the track, with numerous holes in the roof, with moldy walls and with stains on them, with broken windows and doors, until it was noticed by the Deans A. Madelan and A. Olehno from Daugavpils, as well as by the priest Klavcan.

The reconstruction of the church lasted three years. Parish members made a complete restoration of the building themselves. Some part of the building materials was bought thanks to the local support. The German organization “Bonifacius week” and the company “DauTKom” also took an active part in it.
“Journal of the Catholic Churches”
Zemgale, Demene parish, Daugavpils region, Daugavpils nov.
Phones: +371 27146299
55°43'49.3" N, 26°26'37.4" E

More information ...

Cultural-historical objects ...

1 2 3 4 5